European Space Mechanisms and Tribology Symposium
University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
20th-22nd September 2017
Call for Papers
The ‘Call for Abstracts’ deadline has been extended. Please use the on-line submssion service to submit the abstract for your paper
- Deadline for Abstracts: 17th February 2017 – 12:00 midday UK time
- Authors Notification: 12th April 2017
- Deadline for Papers & Authors Registration: 7th June 2017
Authors are invited to submit proposals for presentations to the symposium in the form of an extended abstract using the online submission tool (up to 450 words in text only. Please do not send email or mail submissions).
The abstract submission shall include:
- Full title of the paper
- Max 450 words (text only)
- Names of all authors, affiliations and addresses
- Confirmation that at one author will register in full to attend and present the paper at ESMATS 2017
- A clear and precise outline of the novelty of the paper and major points of interest
- An indication as to whether a paper on the subject has previously been published
- An indication of presentation preference (oral or poster)
- An indication of subject category from the following options:
Category 1: Mechanisms Design, Analysis, Manufacturing, Assembly, Integration and Testing
Category 2: Components/Equipment, Micro/Nano Devices
Category 3: Tribology and Materials
Category 4: Launch Vehicles
Category 5: In-Orbit Performance and Post-Flight Investigations
Category 6: Science Observatories, Earth Remote Sensing, and Planetary Exploration Mechanisms
Category 7: Space Platforms, Tethers, Re-entry Vehicle Mechanisms
Abstracts selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to space mechanisms and tribology
- Topic based on lessons learnt
- Topic based on hardware test results
- Originality/novelty of the innovation presented
- Quality and clarity of abstract
Deadline for Abstracts
Abstracts should be submitted online by 01 Feb 2017. Any related questions should be sent by email to [email protected]
Authors will be notified of the Organisation Committee’s decision by 12th April 2017. Authors whose papers have been accepted will receive guidelines for the preparation of a paper for inclusion in the symposium proceedings that will be distributed to all participants at the symposium. The proceedings will be normally only be available digitally, a paper copy may be ordered at registration at extra cost.
Registration & Fees
Authors, exhibitors and participants are requested to register for the symposium on-line as early as possible to assist with the co-ordination of the symposium.
Collection of your delegate badges and on-site registration at the venue can be made during these times:
- Tuesday 19th September 2017 – between 17:00 – 19:00
- Wednesday 20th September 2017– between 08:30 – 17:30
- Thursday 21st September 2017– between 08:30 – 17:30
- Friday 22nd September 2017– between 08:30 – 13:00
Registration Fee before midnight on 1st July 2017: £500 + VAT* (20%)
Registration Fee from 2nd July 2017: £550 + VAT* (20%)
Included in the fee:
- Cocktail reception on Wednesday 20th September 2017
- Symposium dinner (inc. transfers if required) on Thursday 21st September 2017
- Lunches and coffee breaks during the conference proceedings
- Visit to Airbus Defence and Space (inc. transfers if required) on Friday 22nd September 2017
- Access to all presentations, posters, proceedings and exhibition area
Fees do not include accommodation and travel. Delegates are responsible for any costs incurred in respect to travel and accommodation.
You can now apply as an exhibitor at ESMATS 2017.
Exhibitors Fee: £950 + VAT
ESMATS 2017 will include an exhibition where companies can display and exhibit their equipment and hardware. Each company will be allocated with a 3x2m stand space, and they are allocated on a first come, first serve basis only.
To apply for exhibition space, please contact [email protected] by 30th April 2017. Each submission will be reviewed by the organising committee. Once your exhibition position has been accepted and you have paid online, an exhibitor information pack will be distributed.
The exhibitor registration fee includes
- 1 x full delegate pass which includes a full conference pack, lunches and coffee break refreshments for the 3 days, access to the Cocktail reception, Symposium dinner and a visit to the Airbus Defence and Space facilities
- 1 x 3x2m exhibition space (1st come, 1st serve please click for ESMATS 2017 Exhibitor Floor Plan v2), 1 x table, 2 x chairs and power
When contacting the ESMATS17 events team, please indicate which stand position you are interested in. For additional exhibition resources to hire please contact [email protected]
The conference dinner on Wednesday 21st September will be an Elizabethan style banquet at Hatfield House (www.hatfield-house.co.uk), currently the home of of the 7th Marquess and Marchioness of Salisbury. Hatfield House was built in 1611 by Robert Cecil, first Earl of Salisbury and son of Lord Burghley, the chief minister of Elizabeth I. The deer park surrounding the house and the older building of the Old Palace had been owned by Elizabeth’s father, King Henry VIII, who had used it as a home for his children, Edward, Elizabeth and Mary. It was while she was living in the Old Palace, in 1558, that Elizabeth learned of her accession to the throne.
At 18.30 on Wednesday 21st September, coaches will depart from the de Havilland Campus to Hatfield House for a guided tour of the grounds. Those wishing to join the tour will need to indicate this during the registration process. At 20.00 an Elizabethan style banquet will be provided at Hatfield House. The maximum capacity for dinner is 250 and seats are available on a first come, first served basis.
Please note that recording devices are not permitted during the sessions.
Language and Presentation Time
- The working language of the symposium will be English. For each paper presented orally, 15 minutes are allocated followed by 5 minutes for discussion.
- Posters will be displayed during the whole symposium in the exhibition area.
- Oral or poster presentations may be accompanied by the demonstration of novel mechanisms and products.
Technical Recommendations for Oral Presentations
- Presenters shall allocate the indicated time (please check the preliminary programme to be posted by end April) per presentation – including time for questions – and are asked to follow their allocated presentation time including time for questions and discussions.
- Please bring your presentation in PPT (Microsoft Office 2010) or PDF format on a USB stick
- Presenters are kindly requested to arrive in the meeting room at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the session
- The presentations should contain clear information with appropriate font size that is legible from the back of the conference room.
- Hand-outs of your presentation will not be provided to the participants.
- A PC will be available for the presentations. For performing the presentation, MS-Powerpoint or Adobe PDF Reader under Windows 7 will be used.
Technical Recommendations for Poster Presentations
- Presenters at the poster sessions shall bring their own printed posters. It is not possible to print a poster on site.
- Authors are strongly encouraged to produce a proper poster rather than using multiple sheets of A4 paper.
- The display area of the poster panels is 97 cm wide x 147 cm high.
- Poster numbers (according to the conference programme) will be noted on the wall panels.
- Presenters shall be available at the poster session near their poster for the duration of the session in order to answer to the conference participants questions
- Posters will be displayed for the duration of the conference.
Additional information relating to good presentation practise can be found on the presentation guide page
Template for Full Paper Delivery
- Presenters are requested to use the templates below in both MS Word and PDF formats for setting up their paper.
- PDF format
- Word format
- Full instructions are in the template
Final due date for delivery of the final paper is Friday 23rd June, 2017 in order to be included on the proceedings CD
(*) British Stirling VAT is charged at 20%, credit card and other forms of payments fees may apply during the booking process