18th European Space Mechanisms and Tribology Symposium
Munich, Germany – Hosted by OHB
18th-20th September 2019
Call for Papers
Submissions process for papers is now closed.
- Deadline for Abstracts: 31st January- midnight CET time
- Authors’ Notification: 2nd April 2019
- Deadline for Authors’ Registration: 7th June 2019
- Deadline for Paper Delivery: 28th June 2019
The abstract submission shall include:
- Full title of the paper
- Names of all authors, affiliations and addresses
- Confirmation that at one author will register in full to attend and present the paper at ESMATS 2019
- A clear and precise outline of the novelty of the paper and major points of interest – max 450 words and one figure or chart
- An indication as to whether a paper on the subject has previously been published
- An indication of presentation preference (oral or poster)
- An indication of subject category from the following options:
Category 1: Mechanisms Design, Analysis, Manufacturing, Assembly, Integration and Testing
Category 2: Components/Equipment, Micro/Nano Devices
Category 3: Tribology and Materials
Category 4: Launch Vehicles
Category 5: In-Orbit Performance and Post-Flight Investigations
Category 6: Science Observatories, Earth Remote Sensing, and Planetary Exploration Mechanisms
Category 7: Space Platforms, Tethers, Re-entry Vehicle Mechanisms
Abstracts selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to space mechanisms and tribology
- Topic based on lessons learnt
- Topic based on hardware test results
- Originality/novelty of the innovation presented
- Quality and clarity of abstract
Deadline for Abstracts
Abstracts should be submitted online by 15th Jan, 2019. Any related questions should be sent by email to ESMATS@ohb.de. Please ensure that any internal company approvals for publication are followed prior to abstract submission to assist with the efficient running of the symposium and avoid having to chase up late substitute or replacement papers.
Authors will be notified of the Organisation Committee’s decision by 2nd April 2019. Authors whose papers have been accepted will receive guidelines for the preparation of a paper for inclusion in the symposium proceedings that will be distributed to all participants at the symposium. The proceedings will only be available digitally via the past papers website.
Registration & Fees
Authors, exhibitors and participants are requested to register for the symposium on-line as early as possible to assist with the co-ordination of the symposium.
Collection of your delegate badges and on-site registration at the venue can be made during these times:
- Tuesday 17th September 2019 – between 17:00 – 19:00
- Wednesday 18th September 2019– between 08:30 – 17:30
- Thursday 19th September 2019– between 08:30 – 17:30
- Friday 20th September 2019– between 08:30 – 13:00
Early registration fee before midnight (CET) on 14th July, 2019: €600 + VAT* (19%)
Registration fee from midnight 14th July 2019: €650+ VAT* (19%)
Included in the fee:
Cocktail reception on Wednesday 18th September 2019 Bavarian style symposium dinner on Thursday 19th September 2019
- Lunches and coffee breaks during the conference proceedings
Visit to OHB Systems AG (inc. transfers if required) or DLR Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics on Friday 20th September 2019
- Access to all presentations, posters, proceedings and exhibition area
Fees do not include accommodation and travel. Delegates are responsible for any costs incurred in respect to travel and accommodation.
Exhibitors Fee: €1,800+ VAT* (19%)
ESMATS 2019 will include an exhibition area where companies can display and exhibit their equipment and hardware. Each company will be allocated with a 3 x 2m stand space.
To apply for exhibition space, please contact ESMATS@ohb.de by 30th April 2019. Each submission will be reviewed by the organising committee. Once your exhibition position has been accepted and you have paid online, an exhibitor information pack will be distributed.
The exhibitor registration fee includes
- 1 x full delegate pass which includes a full conference pack, lunches and coffee break refreshments for the 3 days, access to the cocktail reception, Bavarian style symposium dinner and a visit to the OHB System AG facilities
- 1 x 3 x 2m exhibition space, 1 x table, 2 x chairs and power
When contacting the ESMATS19 events team, please indicate which stand position you are interested in. For additional exhibition resources to hire please contact ESMATS@ohb.de
Conference Dinner and Cocktail Reception
The Cocktail reception will take place on Wednesday 18th September and will be held on the second floor foyer and the terrace of the Gasteig Conference Centre, next to the Carl Orff hall where the ESMATS presentations will occur.
The conference dinner on Thursday 19th September will be a Bavarian style Dinner at Augustiner Keller (www.augustinerkeller.de). The Augustiner Keller lives and breathes tradition and customs. It’s not just one of the many beer gardens in Munich, nor is it just one of the many good restaurants of the city, but simply the Augustiner Keller: one of the most popular meeting places for locals and guests from around the world who value the charm of Bavarian tradition in one of the original large establishments of Munich beer garden and pub culture.
Both these events are included in the price for ESMATS but must be selected during the registration process.
Please note that recording devices are not permitted during the sessions.
Language and Presentation Time
- The working language of the symposium will be English. For each paper presented orally, 15 minutes are allocated followed by 5 minutes for discussion.
- Posters will be displayed during the whole symposium in the exhibition area.
- Oral or poster presentations may be accompanied by the demonstration of novel mechanisms and products.
Technical Recommendations for Oral Presentations
- Presenters will be allocate an indicated time (please check the preliminary programme) per presentation – including time for questions – and are asked to follow their allocated presentation time including time for questions and discussions.
- Please send your presentations in PPT (Microsoft Office 2010) or PDF format via email (email@example.com) before September 9th, 2019. If the presentation exceeds 10 MB (e.g. due to embedded videos for example) you will need to consider alternative means of delivering the completed presentation but the delivery date of September 9th, 2019 should be respected.
- Presenters are to ensure that any embedded videos function correctly prior to the start of their session. This will be done during the Author’s Preparation which starts 30 minutes before morning or afternoon sessions (see agenda).
- Presenters shall arrive in the meeting room at least 10 minutes prior to the start of their session
- The presentations should contain clear information with appropriate font size that is legible from the back of the conference room.
- Hand-outs of your presentation will not be provided to the participants.
- A Windows PC will be available for the presentations. For performing the presentation, MS-Powerpoint or Adobe PDF Reader under Windows 7 will be used
- Presenters shall return any wearable audio devices immediately after their sesion
Technical Recommendations for Poster Presentations
- Presenters at the poster sessions shall bring their own printed posters. It is not possible to print a poster on site.
- Authors are strongly encouraged to produce a proper poster rather than using multiple sheets of A4 paper.
- The display area of the poster panels is 97 cm wide x 147 cm high.
- Poster numbers (according to the conference programme) will be noted on the wall panels.
- Presenters shall be available at all the poster sessions near their poster for the duration of the poster sessions in order to answer to conference delegates questions
- Posters shall be displayed for the duration of the conference.
Additional information relating to good presentation practise can be found on the presentation guide page
Template for Full Paper Delivery
- Presenters are requested to use the templates provided (both MS Word and PDF formats are provided) for setting up their paper.
Full instructions are in the template
Final due date for delivery of the paper is Friday 27th June, 2019 in order to be included on the proceedings CD. Late submissions will not be accepted except by prior agreement.
(*) German VAT is charged at 19%, credit card and other forms of payments fees may apply during the booking process.